About Me

My photo
I'm a child of God, wife to Charlie, mom to three beautiful girls, daughter to Dennis and Susan, and friend to as many as I can meet. (In that order.) Welcome to my bloggaroni. :) Follow me on Twitter: thatsmykimjay / Go to my site: www.kimjay.com

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I want to sit at the big table...

Remember when you were little, at Christmas, when it was time to eat that amazing meal you looked forward to all year long?  Ham, potato salad, green beans, baked beans, deviled eggs (or stuffed eggs if you're in my family - we don't like giving the devil credit for things that good!), rolls....   Man, I'm going to go have to go get a snack after just writing this!  Remember how all the adults got to sit at the "big table" while all the grandkids were stuck in the den on a rackety old card table?  On lawn chairs (that didn't sit high enough to even see your food), with a harsh warning NOT to get any on the carpet?

I remember it.  I remember the first year I was married.  I thought that surely enduring all those nuptials would earn me a spot.  And, graciously, my good ol' Aunt Dixie and Uncle Glenn gave up their spots, just to make me feel all special.  What an accomplishment.  What grown-up-ness!  I was at the big table!  Today it was clear that Anna appreciates this feeling as well.  I caught her at the dinner table, having moved all of her accouterments from her high chair right to her Daddy's spot.  So proud.  She's growing up.



Makes me wonder.  At God's dinner table, where would He have me sit?  I mean, I know I'm not exactly a baby Christian, but am I there yet?  Would I be invited to sit with Him at the "big table"?  The mere fact that I have no idea right now in my heart is suggesting maybe, I need to grow up a bit more.  Or, I guess if I thought I was a shoe-in for adult Heavenly dining - wouldn't that suggest that maybe I didn't get it?  What would happen if I just tried to sneak in?  What would God say when I got caught?  Would He be as affected by my cuteness as I was of Anna's - and just let it slide?


 I don't know.  

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.  When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me."  
                                                                                                        (1 Corinthians 13:11)

Kinda makes me think I'd get booted.  This Spring...I want to GROW!

Peace.

kj

1 comment:

  1. I want to sit at the big table, too. Great post, Kim. Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete