About Me

My photo
I'm a child of God, wife to Charlie, mom to three beautiful girls, daughter to Dennis and Susan, and friend to as many as I can meet. (In that order.) Welcome to my bloggaroni. :) Follow me on Twitter: thatsmykimjay / Go to my site: www.kimjay.com

Monday, August 16, 2010

Blackbird singing in the dead of night...

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Black bird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.




See these two?  There's a special bond between these two people that not many get to experience.  My dad and my daughter.

My dad called me just now and said, "I'm done......I'm done."  Initially, this caught me completely off guard.  Done?  Is work okay?  Are you and mom okay?  Did I do something wrong?  "Something happened the other night that I will never forget as long as I live.  My granddaughter went to see Paul McCartney, and called ME so I could hear Blackbird."  

See, Bradyn is a major Beatles fan.  So much so, that her dad flew her up to Philly this weekend to hear Paul McCartney in concert for her 13th birthday.  I know, I know, it's tough being Bradyn!  But, Pa and Nana?  Also Beatles fans.  My mom made sure that Bradyn knew that SHE loved Sir Paul for longer than Bradyn's mother was alive.  I grew up listening to those old 8-tracks of The Beatles and John Denver.  That is, until my dad discovered the dulcimer.  Then, the focus sharply turned to mountain folk music.  Woo hoo!  (Major sarcasm, in case you didn't catch that.)  I'll just say this, if your dad MAKES dulcimers, you're gonna be one popular girl in high school!  (More, major sarcasm.  Just oozing with it now.)

Bradyn, however, loves the dulcimer.  She and my parents never miss a Dulcimer Festival in Mountain View, Arkansas.  She has her very own, and frequently goes to the lake with my parents to do their little dulcimer-stuff.  And, over the years, listening to the Beatles during that three hour drive, "Blackbird" has become their "song."  

Talking to my dad just now, we talked about the fact that it was their song.  "Me and my granddaughter have a 'song'.  That fills my heart up so much, I can't even talk about this anymore at work.  I'm getting all emotional."  So, with that, he went on to the next customer at the bank.  But, I know, that although he probably would rather be retired right now, that today may be a frustrating one, he knows that Brady-Lady loves him.  And, that's a blessing not many in this world get.  

And, today, for me, even though Peanut is screaming for her Daddy to come down stairs, that I have to work, and do a million other things....I know that both Brady-Lady and my Daddy love me.  None of this pittly little stuff is worth the energy those frustrations demand.  I am loved.



No comments:

Post a Comment