About Me

My photo
I'm a child of God, wife to Charlie, mom to three beautiful girls, daughter to Dennis and Susan, and friend to as many as I can meet. (In that order.) Welcome to my bloggaroni. :) Follow me on Twitter: thatsmykimjay / Go to my site: www.kimjay.com

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vacation thoughts and ramblings from a mom...


I can't wait to see my new little God-son/nephew. Looking forward to hanging out with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and friends. Excited about a possible poker game, Busch Gardens, and the beach. BUT...

I am seriously dreading 13 hours in the car Friday with a 14 month old. Not thinking I'm gonna get much rest with Peanut in a strange bed. Then, it's all the packing for here, packing for there. No highchair, no baby-proofed home, none of our regularly scheduled nap-times. My mom would say, "Don't bar trouble. No sense in worrying over something that hasn't happened yet." She's right, but ugh. How can you not? I mean, when I know I'm gonna have a root canal - I dread it! When I know I have to have blood taken - I dread it! Vacation for Mama means doing everything you're doing at home on a regular basis, 24/7, in another place, without all the comforts/tools/routines of home.

I remember when I was little, we camped nearly every vacation until I was 16. We didn't have a ton of money to go fly somewhere, but my Daddy made sure we always took a vacation. And, I have to say, those camping trips have a way of bringing a family together. You eventually have to get along with your little brothers after a few days in the woods and in a camper with them at night. Anyhoo, I used to wonder how my mom coped. Not only did she have to cook and clean still, but in a campground. Where you have to pump your water up to a HOSE! She would peel potatoes while we played with sticks and went "exploring" - and when we got back - what the heck? Where did all this food come from? She was amazing.

(This pic is from a couple of years ago in Mountain View, AR on a weekend trip to the lake - where she cooked for us all weekend as she always does. She loves this pic for some reason. Note the old Canon Rebel I loved so much!)


A couple of times, me and my ex took Morgan and Bradyn camping. Me, trying to recreate the moments I had with my family with my girls. We explored, played with sticks, but dang it! When we got back to camp - nothing. Crap, I thought, that means I have to cook! Ugh. I'm just not a good a sport as she is. We are wired differently. I wish I were more like her. I want to go-go-go, not miss anything, have fun with the rest of the family. She was perfectly contented, happier even (or so she made it seem), to cook and do for us than to go and do.

I feel tied to the kitchen like a dog tied to a tree watching the kids run and play across the street. If I never had to cook again, oh how life would ROCK! I guess I'm pretty gripey about most of the traditional "stay-at-home-mom" chores. Except laundry. For some weird reason, I LOVE to do laundry. I love to sort. I love to fold everything, just so-so. I love the warm clothes coming out of the dryer smelling so good. I love that moment when you've put away the very last stitch of clothing and the laundry room is EMPTY. I know, I'm a freak. Why can't I be that way about cooking? We'd save a LOT of money going out! :)

I'm not trying to be intentionally ungrateful for the life God gave me. But, sometimes I think if only I had been a boy. I'm so career driven, so goal oriented, so in love with jumping in the car and doing my own thing. I love the feedback you get at work. I love the feeling of getting paid and getting raises based on my performance. I love yard work. I love to fix things. I love working in the shop with my Daddy. I love my mom, but I don't really enjoy cooking with her, but hey - I'll clean the kitchen all day long!


Anyway, trying not to "bar trouble," I'll try to have a better attitude about our "vacation." At least Anna is a bit easier than Christmas. The baby couldn't crawl then, and fussed all the time because she wanted something out of reach that we had no idea of. We can take her outside and let her play and wear herself out. :) And, she LOVES the puppies we'll see. And, the girls will be with us. So, maybe it will be easier. I'll let you know. :)

1 comment:

  1. Kim, I really don't know you very well, but after reading your story of your life, I now know you better. You have a good trip, and don't worry about stuff. I do love knowing you better.

    ReplyDelete